For emergency services, call 112.
For domestic violence helpline, call 016.
For the suicide hotline914590050.



To access national healthcare in Spain, you need to get a SIP number at the local 'Centro de Salud' or Health Center.

  • In some cities, you only need your passport and you can go with your host to show their TIE or DNI as proof of your residence. 

  • In some cities, you need your NIE, which you get during your first appointment for 'temporary status'. 

  • In some cities, you need to get an appointment confirmation for your 'empadronamiento', more info in 'Documents'.


Holders of the SIP card are entitled to receive the same care as Spanish nationals.

Pharmacist Assisting Customer


There are mental health professionals all over Spain that are offering in-person services for free, some for adults and some for children. 

If you are a host family, you can help by withholding judgment and listening intently. Some tips for host families regarding the emotions guest families may be going through can be found on Cultural Differences.


Your guest family may have some needs for extra mental healthcare services at this tumultuous time. It may be helpful for you to help them locate a local service provider that is right for them. 


If that is not possible, there are also online resources available in multiple languages.

Free online counseling:

First Help

Complicated Life

Therapy Route